Why the default dilation value in Conv2d is 1?

class torch.nn.Conv2d(in_channels, out_channels, kernel_size, stride=1, padding=0, dilation=1, groups=1, bias=True)

The default value of dilation = 1, does it means all the conv2d without setting dilation = 0 will use dilation conv?

3 Likes

Dilation = 1 already means “no dilation”: 1-spacing = no gaps. I agree this convention is weird…

6 Likes

If you phrase it as “every dilationth element is used”, it may be easier to remember. When defining dilation (or any op in general) to me it seems natural to talk about what is used/done rather than what is skipped/not done.
So once you try to write down a formula, it probably is with this convention. Using it in code saves you from index juggling when putting formulas into code.

Of course, everyone has a different intuition about these things, but personally, I think the one pytorch implicitly suggests here can be useful.

Best regards

Thomas

3 Likes

dilation is similar to stride. stride=1 is not weird, and hence dilation=1 is not weird either :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok, please forgive my words, “weird” wasn’t the appropriate formulation. But it can be misunderstood by thinking that ‘=1’ implies there is a dilating dilation, hence the existence of this topic…

5 Likes

So in PyTorch, which image can represent the correct understanding?
Which image is the correct understanding of dilation value = 1?

1446032-20190426165827108-2055771203

Bottom one

1 Like

stride: step length for moving kernel.
dilation: step length for moving kernel element.

1 Like