DDP losses (train and val) are much worse than in single GPU training

Basically the same issue as the one described in the above thread, where the results for training and evaluation are much better when using a single GPU than when using multiple GPUs.

The only changes i make when using DDP are initializing the distributed processes, wrapping the model in DDP, and using the DistributedSampler for training, and then using the sampler to set the epoch during training :

if 'WORLD_SIZE' in os.environ:
        args.local_rank = int(os.environ['LOCAL_RANK'])
        args.distributed = int(os.environ['WORLD_SIZE']) > 1

if args.distributed:
        args.device = 'cuda:%d' % args.local_rank
        torch.cuda.set_device(args.local_rank)
        torch.distributed.init_process_group(backend='nccl', init_method='env://')
        args.world_size = torch.distributed.get_world_size()
        args.rank = torch.distributed.get_rank()

sampler = data.DistributedSampler(ds, num_replicas=args.world_size, rank=args.rank, shuffle=True, 
    drop_last=True)
data_loader = data.DataLoader(ds, batch_size=args.batch_size, num_workers=args.cpu_workers,
    pin_memory=args.pin_memory, sampler=sampler)

model = DDP(model, device_ids=[args.local_rank], output_device=args.local_rank)

if self.args.distributed:
    self.train_loader.sampler.set_epoch(self.epoch)

if self.args.distributed:
     # this is taken from https://github.com/rwightman/pytorch-image-models/blob/master/timm/utils/distributed.py
     distribute_bn(self.model, self.args.world_size, True)

Asides from that mostly everything else is the same (I wrapped print statements so that they only print in local_rank == 0, but asides from that it’s the same). Validation is done using SequentialSampler and only done in local_rank == 0.
However in that thread the OP never commented on a solution, and I find myself facing the same issue.

I have tried changing LR/batch size, changing the shuffle and drop_last parameters in the sampler, with or without using the sampler.set_epoch(epoch) method, with or without using the distribute_bn method from timm, different datasets/models, and different number of GPUs (1, 2, and 4, all in a single node using torchrun --nproc_per_node=N train.py). They all have the same problem where the training lags severely behind the single GPU training. Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May I ask what loss function you are using?

I’m using CrossEntropyLoss (CrossEntropyLoss — PyTorch 1.11.0 documentation) or the SmoothedCrossEntropy from timm (pytorch-image-models/cross_entropy.py at master · rwightman/pytorch-image-models · GitHub)

1 Like

I am facing the same issue and also using CrossEntropyLoss. Is there a bug in PyTorch DDP source somewhere?

DDP’s loss is local to each process, and gradients are averaged across all processes, which is different from local training or DataParallel training where the loss is global. In your use case, do you need a global loss to achieve good results?

Did you find the reason? How did you solve this problem? :smiley:

In my case the issue was caused by a mistake I made.
I forgot the details but IIRC I was using a learning rate scheduler which updated the LR per step/epoch in the host GPU but not on the others causing issues with the gradients and the whole training.

Do you have any updates on this?
I faced same issue too