No GPU utilization although CUDA seems to be activated

@imesery: referring to how big the data is - I now increased the batch size to 128 (224x224x3 images), and I see GPU memory usage, but still utilization of only ~1% (besides when initializing the model there was a ~1sec peak). is that normal? shouldn’t I use the GPU compute resources to actually do the model calculations? is it possible that 1% is simply what it needs for that?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gpus-in-the-task-manager/
It is normal, see this post for more details.

1 Like
>>> import torch
>>> a = torch.rand(20000,20000).cuda()
>>> while True:
...     a += 1
...     a -= 1

By running this code, I can see 100% utilization in nvidia-smi but nearly 1% for Task Manager. So it should be okay.

1 Like

I see… thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Hi there mate! I notice that in the screenie you are clearly not looking for CUDA utilization! Please note the tiny arrow pointing down next to 3D (and Copy, Video Encode & Decode). You might want to pick CUDA if you wish to see CUDA activity clicking on the tiny arrow and then looking somewhere near the bottom of the list. I can assure you that if you train a deep network you will in fact be see CUDA activity spikes!

1 Like

Based on what I read here, there is a simple solution for this problem. As you can see in task manager, there are 4 options in gpu page:

3D, Copy, Video Encode, Video Decode.
Just click of one of them(i.e. Copy) and change it to Cuda.

That’s all.

6 Likes

Did you get python to use the cuda from the GPU nvidea 980 ?